Arizona TV Station Update - Nov 2022 - Feb 2023
By dhett on Saturday, March 4 2023, 12:37 - Arizona Station Update - Permalink
After a long, unplanned hiatus due to a crazy schedule, the Arizona TV Station Update is back! Let's get caught up with what's been happening since November; it's been quite eventful!
As always, questions, additions, comments and corrections welcome.
- KASW 61.x (27) Phoenix AZ (Scripps Broadcasting Holdings LLC) requested and has been granted a license to cover its NextGen two-site DTS.
- Technical Specifications:
- Site 1: Ch 27; TL 33° 20' 1" N, 112° 3' 47" W (South Mtn.); ERP 445 kW H / 111.25 kW V DA EP 0.95° EBT; HAAT 551 m / 1807 ft.
- Site 2: Ch 27; TL 33° 35' 47" N, 112° 5' 34" W (Shaw Butte); ERP 18.5 kW H / 5.55 kW V EP 1.5° EBT; HAAT 268 m / 879 ft.
- Technical Specifications:
- KMCC 34.x (32) Lauglin NV (Ion Television License LLC) has been granted a license to cover its changes to Site 2 of its DTS, moving it from Black Mountain to the KTNV studios. Technical specifications: Ch 32; TL 36° 7' 45" N, 115° 11' 28" W (KTNV Studios); ERP 12.5 kW DA HP 1.5° EBT; HAAT 65 m / 213 ft.
- K20ID-D 7.x Kingman (KAZT LLC) requested and has been granted a license to cover its move from Hualapai Peak to Hayden Peak, with lower height and increased power. Technical specifications: Ch 20; TL 35° 4' 53" N, 113° 54' 17" W (Hayden Peak); ERP 0.395 kW DA HP 1.75° EBT; HAAT 1082 m / 3549 ft.
- K30IO-D 8.x Camp Verde (The Camp Verde TV Club Inc.) requested and has been granted a license to cover its flash cut to digital. Technical specifications: Ch 30; TL 34° 28' 12" N, 111° 52' 25" W (Squaw Peak); ERP 0.122 kW DA HP; HAAT 678 m / 2224 ft.
Call Sign Changes
- Gray Television Licensee LLC requested and has been granted call sign KAZF for its new full-power television station approved for construction in Flagstaff.
- Gray Television Licensee LLC requested and has been granted call sign KAZS for its new full-power television station approved for construction in Yuma.
- KAZS 27.x Yuma (Gray Television Licensee LLC) has been granted its rulemaking request, changing the allotment for Yuma from VHF channel 11 to UHF channel 27. Gray now needs to file an application for a channel change.
- KGRX-LD 19.x Gila River Indian Co (Gila River Telecommunications Inc.) has dropped Real America's Voice and Newsmax 2 from its lineup, and has added First Nations Experience on channel 19.1.
- KEJR-LD 40.x (32) Phoenix (TV-49 Inc.) has replaced the Azteca America with MeTV+ on channel 40.1. MeTV+ now airs on channels 40.1 and 40.2.
- KPDF-CD 41.x (22) Phoenix (HC2 Station Group Inc.) has replaced Mision TV programming on channel 41.2 with LATV, infomercial programming on channels 41.5 and 41.6 with a blank screen, and infomercial programming on channel 41.9 with Carz & Trax.
- KVPA-LD 42.x (34) Phoenix (KRCA License LLC) has added Jewelry TV (JTV) on channel 42.3.
- KPHE-LD 44.x (16) Phoenix (Gray Television Licensee LLC) has replaced LATV with Arizona Family Sports and Entertainment Network (AzFSEN), has added FidoTV on channel 44.2, has moved DRTV-1 infomercial programming to channel 44.3 and has moved DRTV-2 infomercial programming to new subchannel 44.4.
- KDPH-LD 48.x (13) Phoenix (Word of Life Fellowship Inc.) has shut down KDTP-LD JTV programming on channel 58.1 and has added channel 48.3, playing scripture verses on a landscape background, set to music.
- KDVD-LD 50.x (25) Phoenix (Globe LPTV LLC) has replaced infomercials on channel 50.3 with classic programming from a channel called Comfy TV and has replaced the blue screen on channel 50.8 with programming from a channel labeled iSports, although programming appears to be BizTV once again.
- K30MM-D 31.x Gila River Indian Co (Globe LPTV LLC) has moved Classic Reruns TV from channel 31.5 to 31.3 and NuestraVision from channel 31.10 to 31.8. The station has added RetroTV on channel 31.4, Heartland on channel 31.5, BizTV on channel 31.6, and TheWalk on channel 31.7. Channel 31.6 may be mislabeled, as the subchannel shows sports, possibly the iSports network, which may be from the same provider as Comfy TV on KDVD-LP channel 50.3.
- K35OU-D 21.x Tucson (Ventana Television Inc.) is silent.
- The Azteca America television network shut down December 31.
- The Newsy network rebranded as Scripps News, effective January 1. The rebranded network is seen on the following stations:
- KGUN 9.6 Tucson
- KPPX-TV 51.4 Tolleson
- KBFY-LD 41.2 Yuma
- K27OP-D 9.6 Oro Valley/Tucson
- KMCC 34.4 Laughlin NV
- The Decades network will rebrand as Catchy Comedy, effective March 27. The network will focus on its comedy lineup, especially shows with female leads. Decades is currently seen on the following stations:
- KUTP 45.4 Phoenix
- K11LC-D 45.4 Prescott
- K14HG-D 45.4 Kingman
- K15CR-D 45.4 Lake Havasu City
- K16BP-D 45.4 Cottonwood
- K18CB-D 45.4 Bullhead City
- K28CW-D 45.4 Flagstaff
- Gray Television has launched a new diginet, called Arizona Family Sports & Entertainment Network (AzFSEN). KPHE-LD is confirmed as the flagship station of the new network; new full-power stations KAZF Flagstaff and KAZS Yuma could get the network when they come on air.
- KMOH-TV 6.x (19) Kingman (TV-49 Inc.) requested and has been granted a pro forma assignment of its license to KMOH-TV LLC. The transaction has been consummated.
- KEJR-LD 40.x (32) Phoenix (TV-49 Inc.) requested and has been granted a pro forma assignment of its license to KEJR-LD LLC. The transaction has been consummated.
- KKAX-LD 36.x Hilltop (Tri-State Broadcasting LLC) requested and has been granted a transfer of control from Joseph E. and Rhonda K. Hart to 2 Bits Family Trust and involuntary transfer of 50% interest in the trust. Joseph and Rhonda Hart, husband and wife, had established 2 Bits Family Trust in 2012 and transferred control of the stations to the trust, but failed to notify the FCC of the transfer. Upon Joseph Hart's death in 2022, his interest in the trust has been transferred to their daughter, Trisha K. Hart. Translator K23BJ-D Lake Havasu City is also included in the transaction.
- KDNU-LD 7.x (30) Las Vegas NV (LVNV Broadcasting Company LLC) has been granted its authorization for assignment to Bridge News LLC, as amended. The transaction has been consummated.
- KMSQ-LD 15.x Mesquite NV (Center Point Broadcasting Company LLC) has been granted its authorization for assignment to Bridge News LLC, as amended. The transaction has been consummated.
Construction Permits and Special Temporary Authorizations (STAs) Granted
- KASW 61.x (27) Phoenix (Scripps Broadcasting Holdings LLC) requested and has been granted a six-month extension of its STA to broadcast its non-primary program streams in ATSC 1.0 format on other stations with no NextGen simulcast so that it may host other stations' NextGen signals.
- KUAT 6.x (30) Tucson (Arizona Board of Regents f/b/o The University of Arizona) requested and was granted an extension of an STA to operate at 50% power due to damaged equipment. KUAT has purchased a new transmitter but due to snowy conditions at the transmitter site, the station will not be able to install it until at least March 2023.
- KYUM-LD 15.x Yuma (Centro Cristiana Vida Abundante Inc.) has been granted an STA to build temporary facilities at Fisher Wireless Services while it attempts to upgrade service at its Gila Mountains transmission site. Technical specifications: Ch 15; TL 32° 41' 14" N, 114° 35' 26" W (Fisher Wireless); ERP 0.3 kW DA HP 0.5° EBT; HAAT 37 m / 121 Ft.
- K20ID-D 7.x Kingman (KAZT LLC) has been granted a modification to its license, allowing it to move its broadcast antenna from Hualapai Peak to Hayden Peak, with a slightly lower height, but increased power. Technical specifications: Ch 20; TL 35° 4' 53" N, 113° 54' 17" W (Hayden Peak); ERP 0.395 kW DA HP 1.75° EBT; HAAT 1082 m / 3549 ft.
- K21OD-D 12.x Many Farms (KOB-TV LLC) requested and has been granted a six-month extension of its silence STA as it waits for the utility company to restore power to its broadcast site. The licensee has updated the station's license renewal application to reflect the off-air status.
- K25MK-D 12.x Camp Verde (The Camp Verde TV Club) requested and was granted a six-month extension of its silence STA while it prepares a shared antenna.
- K30OI-D 8.x Camp Verde (The Camp Verde TV Club) requested and was granted a six-month extension of its engineering STA, allowing it to continue to operate at variance from its licensed parameters until its permanent facilities are constructed. The station is moving to a different structure at the antenna site. Technical specifications: Ch 30; TL 34° 28' 12" N, 111° 52' 25" W (Squaw Peak); ERP 0.122 kW DA HP; HAAT 699 m (2293 ft).
Construction Permits and STAs Requested
- KJPO-LD 25.x Tonopah (Iglesia Manmin Toda la Creacion USA Inc.) has requested an engineering STA to move to a site southeast of Tonopah, north of Salome Hwy. The station needs to be back on air by January 7, 2023, which is 12 months from its silent date and claims to have the equipment ready to deploy temporary facilities immediately. Technical specifications: Ch 25; TL 33° 26' 59" N, 112° 53' 37" W (Van Buren St. at 391st Ave. alignment); ERP 0.89 kW DA HP; HAAT -5 m / 16 ft (24 m / 80 ft AGL).
- K10RW-D Lake Havasu (Lowcountry 34 Media LLC) has requested a modification to its license to increase power from its current 25 Watt level and to re-orient its antenna. Technical specifications: Ch 10; TL 34° 28' 41" N; 114° 24' 31" W (Cor. Havasu Lake Rd. & Siwavaats Way, Havasu Lake CA); ERP 1 kW DA HP; HAAT -113 m / -371 ft (6 m / 20 ft AGL).
- K18DD-D Camp Verde (Good News Broadcasting Network Inc.) has requested an increase from its current 2.5 kW ERP level. Technical specifications: Ch 18; TL 34° 41' 14" N; 112° 7' 3" W (Mingus Mtn.); ERP 13.5 kW DA HP; HAAT 781 m / 2562 Ft.
- K35OU-D 21.x Tucson (Ventana Television Inc.) has requested a Silence STA. The station lost its satellite reception on February 13, but cannot access the transmitter site due to snowy conditions to determine the cause.
- K42IQ-D (K21ON-D) Flagstaff (Edge Spectrum Inc.) has modified its application for a construction permit to increase its height from 17 m (56 ft) AGL to 57 m (187 ft) AGL. Technical specifications: Ch 21; TL 35° 11' 25" N, 111° 38' 4" W (1429 E. Butler Ave.); ERP 1 kW EP; HAAT -48 m / -157 ft (57 m / 187 ft AGL).
- KVCW 33.x (29) Las Vegas NV (KUPN Licensee LLC) requested and was granted a Silence STA. The station went silent February 8 due to transmitter failure.
Expired, Expiring, Canceled and Dismissed
- K22JD-D 10.x Madera Peak (NW Communications of Phoenix Inc.) has canceled its license.
The following licenses have been renewed through October 1, 2030:
- KGUN-TV 9.x Tucson (Scripps Broadcasting Holdings LLC)
- KPPX-TV 51.x (31) Tolleson (Inyo Broadcast Licenses LLC)
- K27OP-D 9.x Oro Valley/Tucson (Scripps Broadcasting Holdings LLC)
- K27OR-D 12.x Klagetoh (KOB-TV LLC)
- KOBF 12.x Farmington NM (KOB-TV LLC)
- K11QQ-D 5.x Hildale UT (Bonneville International Corporation)
- K16DL-D 4.x Zuni Pueblo NM (KOB-TV LLC)
- K20GJ-D 5.x Bloomington UT (Bonneville International Corporation)
- K33QD-D 5.x Zuni Pueblo NM (Regents of the Univ. of NM and Board of Ed of Albuquerque NM)
- K34PK-D 4.x Tohatchi NM (KOB-TV LLC)
- K35FS-D 5.x Santa Clara UT (Bonneville International Corporation)
The following licenses have been renewed through December 1, 2030:
- K17BN-D Needles (Mohave County Board of Supervisors)
- K26PR-D Needles (Good News Broadcasting Network Inc.)
- K29LS-D Calexico (Broadcast Group Ltd.)
- K31HY-D Needles (Mohave County Board of Supervisors)
- AGL - above ground level
- CP - circular polarization
- DA - directional antenna
- DTS - distributed transmission system
- EBT - electrical beam tilt
- EP - elliptical polarization
- HAAT - height above average terrain
- HP - horizontal polarization
- MBT - mechanical beam tilt
- TL - transmitter location
I am receiving word that in Tucson, KUDF-LD replaced Azteca America programming on channel 14.1 with Estrella TV, formerly on channel 14.2. In its place, Vision Latina is now airing on channel 14.2.
In other news, K18DD-D Camp Verde (Good News Broadcasting Inc.) has been granted a construction permit to increase power to 13.5 kW.
There has been late-breaking news that Scripps will merge TruReal into Defy TV on March 27. The resulting diginet, which will keep the name Defy TV, will have most popular shows from each. The spectrum currently occupied by TruReal will become Jewelry Television (JTV). Stations affected:
- KOLD-TV 13.x (32/13) Tucson
- KPPX-TV 51.x (31) Tolleson
- KWBA 58.x (21) Sierra Vista
- KBFY-LD 41.x (2) Yuma
- KMCC 34.x (32) Laughlin NV
And there was much rejoicing (yay)
The peak where the Camp Verde TV Club has its tower was renamed last September. It's now Porcupine Mountain. (See https://verdevalleyresources.blogsp...)
Thank you for the information Paul. This is the first I've heard of it. I will make note of the new name and begin using it.