Arizona TV Station Update - October 2021
As always, questions, additions, comments and corrections welcome.
- KAZT-CD 7.x (36) Phoenix (KAZT LLC) has requested a license to cover its construction permit to raise the radiation center. Technical specifications: Ch 36; TL 33° 20' 2" N, 112° 3' 43" W (South Mountain); ERP 15 kW ND EP 1.5° EBT; HAAT 491 m (1610 ft).
- KPCE-LD 29.x Tucson (Word of God Fellowship Inc.) has been granted a license to cover its flash cut to digital. The license to cover (as well as the application for digital flash cut) has an incorrect transmit location. The latitude should be 32° 14' 55.9", which was the analog transmit location, instead of 32° 15' 55.9". The 32° 14' 55.9" latitude also appears in the Interference Study on the digital flash cut application. Technical specifications: Ch 29; TL 32° 15' 56" N, 111° 7' 0" W (Tucson Mtns.); ERP 15 kW DA CP; HAAT 611 m (2004 ft).
- K30DT-D 7.x Flagstaff (KAZT LLC) has filed a license to cover its flash cut to digital as amended to specify a different antenna and a lower height for the antenna. The license to cover was also amended to include a request for waiver of liability for failure to timely file the license to cover the permit, which expired July 13. Technical specifications: Ch 30; TL 35° 14' 25" N, 111° 35' 52" W (Mt. Elden); ERP 1.73 kW DA HP; HAAT 613 m (2011 ft).
- K29LS-D Calexico CA (Broadcast Group Ltd.) has been granted a license to cover its displacement construction permit. Technical specifications: Ch 29; TL 32° 40' 30" N, 115° 22' 41" W (Cor. Pan American St. & Rood Rd.); ERP 15 kw HP 0.25° EBT; HAAT 81 m (266 ft).
- K30PL-D 41.x Las Vegas NV (Craig A Ruark LLC) requested and has been granted a license to cover its displacement construction permit. Technical specifications: Ch 30; TL 35° 56' 46" N, 115° 2' 37" W (Arden Pk); ERP 15 kW DA HP 0.5° EBT; HAAT 551 m (1807 ft).
Call Sign Changes
- K30PL-D 41.x Las Vegas NV (Craig A Ruark LLC) has changed its call sign to KDNU-LD and is now using virtual channel 7.x.
- KTTU-TV 18.x (19) Tucson (Tucker Operating Co. DBA KTTU Television) has added channel 18.4, airing Start TV.
- KPCE-LD 29.x Tucson (Word of God Fellowship Inc.) is on the air, showing the TSID for sister station KDPH-LD Phoenix, and airing one program stream, channel 29.1, which is English-language Daystar network programming.
- K35OU-D 21.x Tucson (Ventana Television Inc.) is silent, likely until the first of the year, due to failed equipment.
- KLAS-TV 8.x (7) Las Vegas NV (Nexstar Broadcasting Inc.) has replaced Ion Television with Rewind TV on channel 8.4. KLAS-TV can be seen in Arizona on translators K31BI-D Kingman and K22DR-D Laughlin NV.
- KDNU-LD 7.x (30) Las Vegas NV (Craig A Ruark LLC) has resumed operations, airing American Classic Entertainment (ACE) on channel 7.1, while channel 7.2 is color bars for now.
- The FCC has approved the assignment of Meredith stations to Gray Television with amendments. Upon consummation, the following stations viewable in Arizona will be transferred from KPHO Broadcasting Corporation (AZ stations) and KVVU Broadcasting Corporation (NV stations) to Gray Television Licensee LLC:
- KPHO-TV 5.x (17) Phoenix
- KTVK 3.x (24) Phoenix
- K11LC-D 3.x Prescott
- K14NA-D 3.x Globe/Miami
- K15HY-D 3.x Williams/Ash Fork
- K17MO-D 5.x Flagstaff
- K25MG-D 3.x Flagstaff
- K27KS-D 5.x Globe/Miami
- K28OA-D 3.x Cottonwood
- K29LM-D 5.x Cottonwood
- K30JD-D 5.x Prescott
- KVVU-TV 5.x (9) Henderson NV
- K28EU-D 5.x Laughlin NV
- KBFY-LD 41.x (2) Fortuna (Jeff Chang) has proposed a transfer to Cocola Broadcasting (KBFY LLC, licensee) for the nominal price of one dollar. The transaction is pending approval from the FCC.
- XHNSS-TDT 8.x (31) Nogales SON (Jaime Juaristi Santos) has been approved for transfer to Mario Gustavo de la Fuente Manriquez by the Plenary of the Federal Telecommunications Institute (IFT), which administers Mexican broadcast concessions.
Construction Permits, Tolling, and Special Temporary Authorizations (STAs) Granted
- KAZT-CD 7.x (36) Phoenix (KAZT LLC) has been granted a modification to its construction permit, raising the radiation center. Technical specifications: Ch 36; TL 33° 20' 2" N, 112° 3' 43" W (South Mountain); ERP 15 kW ND EP 1.5° EBT; HAAT 491 m (1610 ft).
- KYPO-LD Tacna (LMO Christian Media Inc.) has been granted a Silence STA as it prepares to convert to digital.
- K18JL-D Phoenix (HC2 LPTV Holdings Inc.) has been granted a Silence STA as it prepares to move to channel 12.
Construction Permits, Tolling, and STAs Requested
- K12XP-D 22.x Phoenix (HC2 LPTV Holdings Inc.) has requested a modification to its displacement construction permit, changing antennas, moving 6 m (20 ft) higher on the tower and increasing the electrical beam tilt from 1.3° to 2°. The permitee has also requested Mexican concurrence, although that should not have been necessary due to full power KPNX having just moved off RF channel 12. Technical specifications: Ch 12; TL 33° 19' 57" N, 112° 3' 59" W (South Mtn.); ERP 3 kW DA HP 2° EBT; HAAT 471 m (1545 ft).
- K42IQ-D Flagstaff (Edge Spectrum Inc.) has requesting tolling of its displacement construction permit to move to channel 21 and convert to the NextGen broadcast standard, citing delays due to supply chain disruptions and labor shortages. The equipment is in storage, awaiting scheduling of an installation crew. The construction permit expires November 26.
Expired, Expiring, Canceled and Dismissed
- The license for KZOL-LP 15 Safford (KTVW License Partnership GP) has been canceled. Its displacement construction permit to flash cut to digital on channel 16 has been dismissed.
- The license for K21GC Safford (Unimas Partnership of Phoenix) has been canceled. Its displacement construction permit to flash cut to digital on channel 34 has been dismissed.
- The Silence STA request for KJPO-LD 49.x (25) Tonopah (Iglesia Manmin Toda la Creacion USA Inc.) has been dismissed.
- The license for K17JQ St. George UT (Edge Spectrum Inc.) has been canceled. Its construction permit to flash cut to digital has been dismissed.
- KAZT LLC has been assessed a Notice of Apparent Liability (NAL) in the amount of $3,500 for failing to timely file a license to cover their construction permit for K30DT, which expired on July 13, and for operating without authorization between July 14 and October 14, when the original license to cover was filed. KAZT requested a waiver of the rules due to an oversight in that the necessary documentation was entered into LMS but never submitted. The FCC denied the waiver request and assessed the station a $7,000 liability, which was cut in half due to K30DT being a translator and, therefore, a secondary service.
- KVTE-LD 35.x Las Vegas NV (Mountain Ridge Holdings Inc.) has filed a notice of resumption of operations, claiming to have resumed broadcasting on November 2.
- AGL - above ground level
- CP - circular polarization
- DA - directional antenna
- EBT - electrical beam tilt
- EP - elliptical polarization
- HAAT - height above average terrain
- HP - horizontal polarization
- MBT - mechanical beam tilt
- TL - transmitter location