Arizona TV Station Update - October 2020
As always, questions, additions, comments and corrections welcome.
- K18JL-D 22.x Phoenix (HC2 LPTV Holdings Inc.) is now supplementing its infomercial programming with classic movies, branded as MMN - Magnificent Movies Network.
- KNBX-CD 31.x (14) Las Vegas NV (HC2 LPTV Holdings Inc.) has added SonLife Broadcasting Network (SBN) on channel 31.1, making it SBN's third broadcasting outlet in Las Vegas.
- KHMP-LD 18.x Las Vegas NV (DNV Spectrum Holdings LLC) has restored France 24 to channel 18.1 after an extended absence. Channel 18.2 is color bars, but with Biz TV audio, 18.3 is Faith TV, 18.4 is Shop TV, 18.5 and 18.6 are color bars, and 18.8 is 702TV, a.k.a. Right Now TV (RNTV).
- KPVT-LD 2.x (27) Las Vegas NV (DNV Spectrum Holdings LLC) has reappeared after three months, with all of its previous subchannels. Channel 2.1 is the Program Guide, 2.2 is Biz TV, 2.3 is YouToo, 2.4 is Shop TV, 2.5 is now a simulcast of France 24, 2.6 is now AMG TV, and 2.7 is The Walk.
- K30PL-D 41.x Las Vegas NV (Enlace Christian Television Inc.) is silent.
- KMOH-TV 6.x (19) Kingman and KEJR-LD 40.x (32) Phoenix (HC2 Station Group Inc.) are proposed to be transferred to TV-49 Inc., the licensee of Weigel Broadcasting Co. Weigel is the owner of diginets MeTV, Heroes & Icons, and Start TV, and is part owner of dignets Decades (with CBS), and Movies! (with Fox). The transaction has not yet been approved by the FCC.
- KPPX-TV 51.x (31) Tolleson (Ion Television License LLC) is proposed to be transferred to Inyo Broadcast Holdings LLC, as part of Scripps Media's plan to divest of stations in 23 markets where they cannot hold both their existing Scripps Media stations and the new Ion stations. The stations are expected to retain Ion programming, becoming affiliates instead of owned and operated stations. The transaction has not yet been approved by the FCC.
- KMCC 34.x (32) Laughlin NV (Ion Television License LLC) is proposed to be transferred to Scripps Media Inc., as part of Scripps Media's plan to acquire Ion Television. The transaction has not yet been approved by the FCC.
Construction Permits and Special Temporary Authorizations (STAs) Granted
- KPAZ-TV 21.x (20) Phoenix (Trinity Broadcasting of Arizona Inc.) has been granted an engineering STA to operate at reduced power due to equipment failure.
- KGRQ-LD 29.x (21) Gila River Indian Community (Gila River Telecommunications Inc.) has been granted the extension of its STA to operate at lower power than authorized. It sought the extension in September, claiming delays in getting equipment, delays in getting a rigging crew due to COVID-19, and the fact that it has been just too hot for the riggers to safely work - it has been a record-breaking hot summer in central Arizona.
- KPCE-LP 29 Tucson (Word of God Fellowship Inc.) requested and has been granted a construction permit to flash cut to digital. Technical specifications: Ch 29; TL 32° 15' 56" N, 111° 7' 0" W (Tucson Mns.); ERP 15 kW directional; HAAT 611 m.
- K14SL-D Roll (Landover 2 LLC) has been granted an original construction permit. Technical specifications: Ch 14; TL 32° 47' 43" N, 113° 32' 46" W (Dateland RV Park); ERP 1 kW; HAAT 26 m.
- K48NG-D El Centro CA (NPG of Yuma-El Centro LLC) has been granted a displacement construction permit to change to in-core RF channel 11. Its new call sign will be K11XU-D. Technical specifications: Ch 11; TL 33° 3' 18" N, 114° 49' 42" W (Black Mtn.); ERP 3 kW (0.7° elec beam tilt); HAAT 493 m.
- KGNG-LD 26.x Las Vegas NV (King Kong Broadcasting Inc.) has been granted a modification to its license. The station has moved its transmitting location to a new tower 260' away in the same communications site. Technical specifications: Ch 26; TL 35° 56' 46" N, 115° 2' 37" W (Black Mountain Arden Site); ERP 15 kW directional; HAAT 539 m.
- K30PL-D 41.x Las Vegas NV (Enlace Christian Television Inc.) has requested and been granted a Silence STA for up to six months. The station went silent on October 30 due to losing its lease on its transmitting tower.
Construction Permits and STAs Requested
- KESE-LP 35 Yuma (NPG of Yuma-El Centro LLC) has filed an application to flash cut to digital. Technical specifications: Ch 35; TL 32° 38' 31" N, 114° 33' 37" W (S Avenue 4E & E County 14th Street); ERP 8 kW directional (0.25° elec beam tilt); HAAT 78 m.
- KGRF-LD 19.x Gila River Indian Community (Gila River Telecommunications Inc.) has filed a displacement application, seeking to move to channel 21. The station claims to be displaced by KTTU 18.x (19) Tucson, whose signal is quite strong in the metro Phoenix area. It has agreed to accept any interference from co-owned KGRQ-LD 29.x (21). Technical specifications: Ch 21; TL 33° 22' 37" N, 112° 13' 34" W (Near 75th Ave. & Baseline Rd.); ERP 15 kW (1.5° elec beam tilt); HAAT -19 m. (33 m. AGL).
- K17JQ St. George UT (Edge Spectrum Inc.) has requested an Engineering STA to build out its digital facilities at lower power than its construction permit specifies, as it has the equipment on hand to build the smaller station immediately. Technical specifications: Ch 17; TL 37° 3' 48" N, 113° 34' 4" W (Webb Hill); ERP 0.1 kW directional; HAAT 29 m.
- K40KZ St. George UT (Edge Spectrum Inc.) has requested an Engineering STA to build out its digital facilities at lower power than its construction permit specifies, as it has the equipment on hand to build the smaller station immediately. Technical specifications: Ch 15; TL 37° 3' 49" N, 113° 54' 25" W (West Mountain Peak); ERP 0.1 kW directional; HAAT -170 m. (20 m. AGL).
Notice of Proposed Rulemaking
- KPNX 12.x Mesa (Multimedia Holdings Corporation) has filed a petition with the FCC to change the allotment for Mesa from RF channel 12 to RF channel 18. KPNX has received a number of complaints from viewers unable to receive its broadcasts on RF channel 12 and notes that it is the only commercial full-power station in the Phoenix market with that problem (KAET is non-commercial and KSAZ airs Fox programming on KUTP RF channel 26 as virtual channel 10.2). Although the FCC has had a freeze in place since May 2011 for full-power stations seeking channel changes, it has determined that waiving the freeze for this request would be in the public interest and has sought comments from the public. The FCC has since taken steps to lift the freeze, making the waiver unnecessary.
Expired, Expiring, Canceled and Dismissed
- KGRY-LD 21.x Gila River Indian Community (Gila River Telecommunications Inc.) has surrendered its license. The area covered by the station is now covered by KGRQ-LD.
- The FCC has dismissed an application by Fort Mohave Television Inc., requesting a new station on RF channel 23 at Fort Mohave Indian Reservation.
- KMCC 34.x (32) Laughlin NV (Ion Television License LLC) has withdrawn its Engineering STA request. The station has resumed normal operations at the Dolan Springs AZ transmitter site, making the STA request moot.