Arizona TV Station Update - April 2017
As always, questions, additions, comments and corrections welcome.
- K43OT-D 5.x Zuni Pueblo NM (Regents of U of NM & Board of Ed. of Albq. NM) has been granted a construction permit and license to cover for a new station. The station, a repeater of KNME-DT Albuquerque NM, had been operating for several years on Special Temporary Authority. Being on channel 43, the station will need to move to the new UHF band in the future, but the area it serves shouldn't be a high-priority or crowded area for wireless communications, so it should be able to avoid moving before 2021. Technical specifications: Ch 43; TL 35° 6' 50" N, 108° 44' 14" W (3 mi. E of Black Rock Airport); ERP 1.05 kW directional; HAAT 112 m.
- KUDF-LD 14.x Tucson (LM Media Group, Inc.) has replaced the For Lease/Infomercial feed on channel 14.3 with GNTV Latino and added GNTV on channel 14.4, giving Good News TV its long-desired outlet in Tucson.
- K41IO-D Las Vegas NV (Enlace Christian Television, Inc.) has added two subchannels. Channel 41.2 is now EJTV - Enlace Juvenil TV - a channel from Costa Rica-based Enlace TV aimed at youth audiences. Channel 41.3 seems to be airing a test loop, but part of the loop contains a reference to AvivaVegas, which was last seen on KGNG-LD 47.3 in 2011.
- KGNG-LD 47.x (48) Las Vegas NV (King Kong Broadcasting, Inc.) is airing Light TV on channel 47.5, replacing Movies+.
- KLSV-LD 50.x Las Vegas NV (Biltmore Broadcasting Las Vegas, Inc.) preempted its normal programming from April 17-28 in order to host ATSC 3.0 content during the NAB Show.
- XHSSE-TDT 15.x (14) Sasabe SO Mexico (Gobierno del Estado de Sonora) is confirmed to be broadcasting in digital, airing Telemax programming on channel 15.1.
Additional notes from Mexican border stations:
- None of the Nogales stations is multicasting at this time.
- I was unable to pull in a signal from either XHFA-TDT 1.x (15) or XHSCZ-TDT 15.x (14), which are supposed to be broadcasting from Santa Cruz SO Mexico, located a few miles south of Lochiel AZ.
- KPPX-TV 51.x (31) Tolleson (America 51, LP) has filed for an additional 90 days to consummate its pro forma restructuring, citing complexities of restructuring 60 television stations and diversion of resources to working on the incentive auction.
- KVPA-LD 42.x Phoenix (KRCA License LLC), along with the other Liberman stations, is being transferred to a new entity as part of a pro forma restructuring.
- KMCC 34.x (32) Laughlin NV (Cranston Acquisition LLC) has been granted its request to sell the station to Entravision Holdings LLC, giving Entravision a duopoly in the Las Vegas area. The facilities include the full-power transmitter in the White Hills outside Dolan Springs AZ and the low-power transmitter broadcasting from Black Mtn. in Henderson NV. Both facilities are part of a Distributed Television System (DTS), or Single Frequency Network (SFN), as they are beginning to be called. Also included in the sale is the construction permit for unbuilt digital translator station K33MB-D, to broadcast from the west side of Laughlin, providing fill-in coverage to the rest of the Laughlin NV/Bullhead City AZ/Mohave Valley AZ area.
- KMCC 34.x (32) Laughlin NV (Cranston Acquisition, LLC) has been granted a renewal of its license through October 1, 2022, clearing the way for the station to be sold to Entravision.
The following stations' licenses are still pending renewal:
- KHRR 40.x Tucson (NBC Telemundo License LLC)
- KJPO-LD 49.x Parker (Iglesia Manmin Toda La Creacion USA INC.)
- KRPO-LD 21.x Quartzsite (Jenifer Juarez)
- KTAZ 39.x Phoenix (NBC Telemundo License LLC)
- KVTE-LP 35 Las Vegas NV (Mountain Ridge Holdings, Inc.)
- KBLR 39.x (40) Paradise NV (Telemundo Las Vegas License LLC)
TV Spectrum Repack
With the spectrum repack now underway, there are a number of low power and translator stations that have been displaced, either by full-power or Class A stations that will be moving to their channel, or due to being on channel 38 or above, which is to be repurposed for wireless communications. These will need to find new channels, at their own expense.
Using an extremely pessimistic calculation, up to 15 licensed low power stations and three construction permits within the truncated UHF band could be displaced:
- K14NA-D Globe/Miami - by KPPX-TV Phoenix, deadline: 5/2/2020 (phase 10).^
- KUDF-LD Tucson - by KPPX-TV Phoenix.^
- K16FB-D Globe/Miami - by KHRR Tucson, deadline: 9/14/2018 (phase 1). Potential for interference in central Pinal County.
- K16EO-D Oro Valley / Tucson - by KHRR Tucson.
- KPHE-LD 44.x (16) Phoenix - by KHRR Tucson. Potential for interference in central Pinal County.
- KZOL-LD (CP) Safford - by KHRR Tucson.^
- KGRY-LD 19.x (21) Gila River Indian Co. - by KWBA Sierra Vista, deadline 9/14/2018 (phase 1).^
- K21GC Safford - by KWBA Sierra Vista.^
- K21CX-D Tucson - by KWBA Sierra Vista.
- K22JD Madera Peak (Globe/Miami) - by KPDF-CA Phoenix, deadline: 9/14/2018 (phase 1).^
- KPSN-LD Payson - by KPDF-CA Phoenix.^
- KTVP-LD Phoenix - by KPDF-CA Phoenix.
- K27KS-D Globe/Miami - by KASW Phoenix, deadline: 9/14/2018 (phase 1).^
- K29KO-D (CP) Gila River Indian Co. - by KASW Phoenix.
- KGRQ-LD 29.x Gila River Indian Co. - by KASW Phoenix.
- KDOS-LD 29.x Globe/Miami - by KASW Phoenix.^
- KPCE-LP 29 Tucson - by KASW Phoenix.^
- K34LF-D (CP) Safford - by KUVE-DT Green Valley, deadline: 9/14/2018 (phase 1).
^ - Could possibly experience interference from protected station, but might not cause interference to protected station due to terrain.
There are also 73 licensed low power TV stations operating on channel 38 and above, plus 11 new construction permits for operations on those channels that are not flash cuts of existing analog channels. All will eventually need to be moved, but may stay on the current channel until the end of the repack as long as the wireless carrier holding rights to the spectrum is not yet ready to commence operations.
- K38AI-D Cottonwood
- K38IR-D Lake Havasu City
- K38GR-D Meadview
- K38LW-D Payson
- K38IZ-D Phoenix
- K38CX Shonto
- K39FC-D East Flagstaff
- K39FV-D Lake Havasu City
- K39FY Zuni NM
- K39IT-D Prescott
- K39JZ-D St. George UT
- K39KW-D Yuma
- K40AD-D Cottonwood
- K40MZ-D Golden Valley (new CP)
- K40JM-D Kanab UT
- KEJR-LD (40) Phoenix
- K40KZ St. George UT
- K40NP-D Wellton (new CP)
- K40NW-D Yuma (new CP)
- K41BZ-D Dolan Springs
- KBFY-LP (41) Fortuna
- K41FT-D Kingman
- K41MO-D Lake Havasu City (new CP)
- K41IO-D Las Vegas NV
- KVBT-LP (41) Santa Clara UT
- K41JE Williams (flash cut CP)
- K42KZ-D Calexico CA
- K42CQ-D Chloride
- K42AC-D Cottonwood
- K42IQ-D Flagstaff
- K42CP-D Peach Springs
- KVPA-LD (42) Phoenix
- K42EU-D Topock
- K42LS-D Yuma (new CP)
- K43GU-D Dolan Springs
- K43IB-D Globe/Miami
- K43GQ-D Klagetoh
- K43GJ-D Lake Havasu City
- K43LW-D Prescott
- K43NM-D Roll (new CP)
- K43CC-D Santa Clara UT
- K43IE-D Williams
- K43OT-D Zuni Pueblo NM
- K44CN-D Cottonwood
- K44DK-D Kingman
- K44JR-D Laughlin NV
- K44JI-D Washington UT
- KWWB-LP (45) Mesquite NV
- K45MW-D Sentinel (new CP)
- K45CU Shiprock NM (flash cut CP)
- K45LU-D Window Rock
- K46IL-D Camp Verde
- K46CG-D Golden Valley
- K46GI-D Lake Havasu City
- KDPH-LD (46) Phoenix
- KKRP-LD (46) St. George UT
- K47OC-D Bullhead City (new CP)
- K47IK Camp Verde (flash cut CP)
- KNTL-LP (47) Laughlin NV
- K47HE-D Meadview
- K47GQ-D Parks
- K47DJ-D Prescott
- KDFQ-LP (47) Prescott
- K47OA-D Washington UT
- K48NG-D El Centro CA (new CP)
- K48GI-D Flagstaff
- K48NH-D Globe Miami
- K48AY-D Kingman
- KGNG-LD (48) Las Vegas NV (already has construction permit to move to channel 26)
- K48NJ-D Needles CA (new CP)
- K48JD-D Santa Clara UT
- K49HP Camp Verde (flash cut CP)
- K49EU-D Chloride
- K49GE-D Kingman
- K49ET-D Many Farms
- KJPO-LD (49) Parker
- K49KI-D Prescott (new CP)
- K49AS-D Santa Clara UT
- K50HU-D Flagstaff
- KFPB-LD (50) Globe
- K50CY-D Kingman
- KLSV-LD (50) Las Vegas NV
- K50KC-D Washington UT
- K51IO Bullhead City
The FCC is planning to open up a filing window, likely in early 2018, for stations to seek new channel assignments. Low power stations have until July 12, 2021 to complete transition, or until the wireless communication holder of their spectrum commences operations, whichever is earlier.