Help Wanted for RabbitEars Rewrite
I'm looking for a college student or someone similarly situated who is skilled or becoming skilled in web coding and databases. Since RabbitEars is run as a hobby and is not for profit, I cannot offer any payment, but I am willing to provide a good reference in exchange for good work. If you are interested, please let me know. (If you're a college student looking for internship credit in addition to a good reference, I'm willing to speak with the relevant officials at your school to try to make it happen, just let me know in your initial e-mail.)
The underlying code RabbitEars uses is more than 9 years old. It is currently running on PHP 5.6, support for which will sunset next year. Additionally, the underlying database is patterned on the FCC's CDBS database, which is in the process of being phased out in favor of the newer LMS database. As such, I'm getting to the point where RabbitEars needs a full ground-up rewrite, and I simply don't have the time anymore to do that myself. I'm looking for someone who can:
- Write code in PHP 7.1 and database queries for the latest version of MySQL (unless you can convince me that alternatives would be objectively superior, but note I will only use other open-source technologies like Python or PostgreSQL)
- Interpret and import the FCC's new LMS database, as well as some data from CDBS, ULS, and other sources
- Migrate non-FCC data from the current database into the new database with minimal manual intervention, but in an alternate format that would streamline future updates
- Hopefully make the site more mobile-friendly (preferred, not required)
- Do this work over the next several months, hopefully during the summer
- Work with me on this project, so I have a full understanding of the underlying code as well
There will be no on-going support obligations as long as my full set of requirements is met. I have time to do maintenance myself, just not the large-scale project to get it that far. Please see my full list of requirements here.
Let me know if you have any questions. Please share with anyone who may be interested.